Friday, October 4, 2013

Baking Season

This time of the year is what I like to call "baking season". I love to bake but I seem to do it more often between September and January; obvious reasons being all the pumpkin flavored goodies in the fall and the holidays. My husband likes to blame me for all the extra pounds he puts on :)

So the reason for this post is to share my pumpkin muffin recipe. I honestly don't know where I got the recipe from but I've been making them for years.  They are bite-sized and moist and perfect for everyday snacking or parties. My husband and 2 year old daughter absolutely love them and they don't last long in our home. They are the perfect toddler snack.

These muffins are pretty hard to screw up. They are quick to make and clean up which is a plus in this household.

 Pumpkin Muffins

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder*
1 cup canned solid packed pumpkin puree (They come in 15 oz cans. I use the entire can for a more pumpkin flavored muffin. I hate to waste half of a can)
1/3 c. vegetable oil**
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt


Topping
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Put oven racks in the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put cupcake liners into muffin tins. I like to use the 24 count muffin tins; they just seem better mini :)

Whisk together flour and baking powder in a small bowl.

In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, oil, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, 1 1/4 c. sugar, baking soda and salt until smooth. Whisk flour mixture until completely combined.

Stir together remaining 1 Tablespoon of sugar and cinnamon into a smaller bowl.

Divide batter among muffin cups (3/4 full), the sprinkle tops with cinnamon/sugar mixture.

Bake until puffed, golden brown and a wooden pick or skewer inserting into the center of muffin come out clean. This is about 25 to 30 min. I would bake for less time on the first try; say 20 min or so.

Cool in pan on a rack for 5 min, then transfer muffins from pan to a cooling rack.

*The last batch of these, I accidentally put 1 teaspoon of baking soda instead of the teaspoon of baking powder. They turned out just fine but definitely will have to pay better attention next time.

** I have used extra virgin olive oil in them and didn't notice a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment